HOW TO LEGALLY PURCHASE A FIREARM OR AMMUNITION IN NEW JERSEY
(this was taken from Facebook group – NJ Firearm Trading Post)
The following applies whether you wish to purchase from a dealer or from an individual. You must be 18 years old to purchase a long gun, 21 years old to purchase a handgun.
In order to purchase handgun ammunition in NJ you need to have a valid Firearms Purchaser ID (FPID) card.
To purchase a long gun you need an FPID and a Certificate of Eligibility (CoE).
To purchase a handgun in NJ you need an FPID and a Permit to Purchase a handgun (P2P).
An FPID and P2P both use the same forms, and you can get both the FPID and P2P at the same time. You can find these forms as fillable PDFs at the NJ state police web site.
If you are purchasing a handgun, you need a separate P2P for each gun. Since they are only $2 it pays to get more than one, just in case. You can only purchase 1 handgun every 30 days, and since the P2P expires in 90 days, most people get 3. You can later apply to get a P2P extended for another 90 days, so some people get 6, and request an extension on the last 3.
TO GET AN FPID OR P2P:
– Download and fill out form STS-033 (“Application for Firearms Purchaser Identification Card/ Application to Purchase a Handgun” http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/info/pdf/firearms/sts-033.pdf). The form must be filled out electronically, then printed and signed. You can’t use a police officer as a reference. For employer address make sure you put an address that will reach your company’s HR department.
– Download and fill out SP-066 (“Consent For Mental Health Records Search (SP-66)” http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/info/pdf/firearms/sp-066.pdf). This must also be filled out electronically and printed. Do not sign it. The police must witness your signature.
– Take them to your local police department )or state police if your town doesn’t have a police department), along with the following:
– Driver’s License (for proof of residency)
– $5 for an FPID, $2 for each P2P (you need to have a separate P2P for each handgun you want to purchase), in cash, check or money order (no credit cards).
– If you have not been fingerprinted for firearms purchases before:
– They will give you form 9-26 “New Jersey Universal Fingerprint Form” which you have to fill out for some reason (even though the form tells you to go to http://www.bioapplicant.com/nj where you enter the same information online. It looks like this (http://www.state.nj.us/dobi/insliced/univerprod.pdf) but the information at the top will be different depending on your local police department.
– Go to the web site listed and make an appointment for a fingerprint scan. The current cost is $67.50.
– Show up at the appointed time and place and get your fingerprints scanned.
– If you are applying for a P2P
– The will give you an ORI number.
– Go to https://www.njportal.com/njsp/criminalrecords/ and fill out form 212A (Request for a Criminal History Record Information for a Noncriminal Justice Purposes) online. This will cost $20, payable online by credit or debit card.
– Wait. The process “should” take no more than 30 days.
– Your references will be contacted.
– Your employer will be asked to verify employment (unless you are self employed, in which case there is nobody to ask). You may need to write a letter authorizing your company to release employment verification information to the police – check with your company’s HR department.
– The fingerprints and criminal records will go directly to the police.
TO GET A CoE:
– Download the State of New Jersey Certificate of Eligibility at http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/info/pdf/firearms/sp-634.pdf
– This can be filled out electronically or by hand.
– Bring 2 copies (one for you, one for the seller).
Every firearm/handgun ammunition purchase will require you to show your FPID and Driver’s License. When purchasing a handgun you should get the pink copy of the P2P (the seller keeps one copy and forwards the third copy to your police department). When purchasing a long gun you should get a copy of the CoE. Note that you should keep these copies FOREVER!